You can help open the gates to community support for the elderly and persons with disabilities. What to watch for:
- Communication: Confused, disoriented, forgetful, excessive reminiscing, angry or hostile.
- Economic Condition: Extensive confusion concerning money matters, expressed difficulty in paying bills, or inability to afford transportation.
- Social Condition: Older person or person with a disability living alone, or otherwise isolated from social contact. Possible victim of abuse, neglect, or exploitation.
- Emotional Health: Excessive statements of rejection, not eating or sleeping well, recent loss of spouse, relative, friend or pet. Appears extremely anxious, fidgety or withdrawn.
- Personal Appearance: Unkempt, dirty clothes, uncombed hair or unshaven.
- Physical Limitations: Severe difficulty seeing, speaking, hearing or moving about.
- Condition of Home: In need of repair, neglected yard, old newspapers lying about, offensive odors or unattended pets.
Call Multnomah County Aging & Disability Services at 503-988-3646 to report any concerns.